Monday 9 November 2009

Car-bike interface

It's finally happened: I've had an accident.

I can't go into full details yet as, although I'm fairly sure nothing will come of it, but it involved rain obscuring visibility, a late indicator because someone was lost, wet leaves causing skiddage and Reg and I survived with nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises.

Lessons I have learned:
  • Wear hi-vis, it's ridiculous looking but makes a massive difference.
  • Leaves do not care about you, your new brakes or your welfare, they will still increase your braking distance considerably.
  • Traffic wardens will attempt to ticket drivers who have pulled over to see if you're ok.
  • Lying in the road is very embarrassing.
  • My handlebars are magnetically attracted to my inner thighs and determined to cause massive purple bruising therein.
  • I don't swear when under that kind of pressure.
  • The driver will be in shock and incredibly distressed.
  • Sometimes shit happens.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope your bruises and confidence are recovering?

    Just one thought... how can you *know* that hi-vis would have made a difference? You quite often hear the same sort of story even when cyclists are lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree. Still what ever keeps you on your bike... chin up love! xx

    Ha, today's verification word: 'worstio' - chin up, it could have been worstio! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it!

    High vis may not have hel;ped with this particular incident but it was a SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you) and I often feel that if I've worn the high vis I can at least plead it after the event!

    ReplyDelete