Monday 1 March 2010

A polite 'excuse me' would not have gone amiss

Grrrrrrr

This morning I was sailing in having finally recovered from whatever hideous bug I managed to catch last week. I heard the unmistakable sound of sirens at high speed somewhere behind me.

I was near a junction but stationary cars were quite close in on the cycle lane leading to the advance stop line and I decided to quickly stop and check the emergency vehicle wasn't in my lane. If so I reckoned the cars ahead would want to pull into the cycle lane to get out of the way. I stopped and looked.

It was a police car at high speed but wasn't in my lane. There were a couple of cyclists behind me and, as I resaddled to pull away one of them pushed past me. The car next to us was on the line demarcating the cycle lane and I have panniers so had to lean really far over. I was so shocked by his rudeness that I just gaped in horror.

He pulled into a side road about 100 yards later so I didn't have time to vocalise my anger. As it was all I would have done is point out that a polite 'excuse me' was all that was required.

I was about to move off anyway but would have let him through.

I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm still angry now. The lack of common courtesy on the road really gets my goat. I mean really. Harumph!

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel there. I end up feeling so angry and frustrated for a long time after people are rude or just plain obscene!

    I had a large skip lorry overtake me badly on a tight road...and just as we were coming up to the small roundabout/junction thing.
    It's not like he got that ahead...so I really cannot see what he had to lose if he'd gone slow behind me for another 300 to 400m!

    Unfortunately idiots rule the roads...be they other idiot cyclists or motorists.

    But I also had a kind person stop and give me way at a junction...which was nice...so that balanced out the horrid and made me smile.
    Would be nice if everyone was thoughtful all the time. :)

    There does seem to be a bug thing going around...I just hope I don't catch it...*shudder*...I'm like a man when I get ill...hah.

    ReplyDelete