Friday 20 August 2010

Cycling for arthritis awareness

Someone has brought a campaign by Arthritis Research UK and I'm quite taken with it.

The campaign aims to raise awareness of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. It can cause a lot of pain but with the cause unknown it's difficult to treat.

I've mentioned my dodgy hip on here a few times and it's had a significant impact on my life. As a young(ish) person, it can be very frustrating to be unable to walk long distances or shop for hours with your friends because you have to keep sitting down. It's embarrassing and depressing. Luckily, I am now at a stage where it does not affect my every day life and I no longer allow it yo limit my activities.

Arthritis Research UK are running a London to Paris cycle in September to raise money for research etc. I can't take part, but anyone else who fancies it should give it a go.

Cycling proved to a be a great therapy for my arthritis and has improved my situation dramatically. With research, other young people who suffer with swollen and painful joints will be able to experience the freedom I now can.

No comments:

Post a Comment